Friday, December 21, 2012

Saying Goodbye (for now)




There’s just a little over twenty-four hours left before I leave Greece. Now that it’s coming to an end, this semester feels like it flew by. I spent the afternoon yesterday taking my last walk through central Athens and making my final climb up to the acropolis. Syntagma Square was all decorated for Christmas and they even had an ice skating rink! Two of my friends, Anna and Remy, and I stopped for some hot chocolate to warm up on a chilly day in Athens. Sitting in the café sipping my hot chocolate, it hit me just how comfortable I’ve become here and how much I’m going to miss it.
Ice Skating in Syntagma

Last trip to the Acropolis
I'm going to miss this view
CYA Farewell Party 

 I’ve learned so much during the past four months. I’ve learned to be patient with myself and with others, to be more flexible, and to let loose every once and a while. Adapting to a new environment, language and culture has really taught me that sometimes it’s okay not to be in control of everything.  Sometimes you just have to surrender to the unknown and enjoy the ride, and I have certainly enjoyed the past few months. I’m going to miss the great friends that I’ve made here, my professors, and the awesome CYA staff.  I’ll also miss gyros, tzatziki sauce and the amazing chocolate cake from the bakery down the street! And of course I’ll miss everything about the wonderful Greek culture: the dancing, the ancient ruins, the hospitality, the museums…and so much more. I’m especially going to miss seeing the acropolis from the academic center window everyday on may way to class. I’ve had such a great experience here in Athens and in the other places I’ve traveled to this semester. I am so grateful for my time abroad and I look forward to traveling many more times. Thank you all for reading my updates…I have really loved getting to share my pictures and stories with you. I’ll see everyone back in the States soon!
Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment