Tuesday, December 11, 2012

A Little Taste of Christmas




         I can’t believe there are only eleven days left until I go home, which means only fourteen days until Christmas! Since it is my absolute favorite holiday, I’ve been excited to experience some Christmas spirit here in Athens. Although Easter is celebrated more in Greece than Christmas is, I’ve still seen some balconies decorated with strings of lights and storefronts painted red and green. I especially feel like Christmas is close when I walk down Ermou Street in Syntagma (a very popular shopping destination). Since the stores there are more main-stream, most of them are filled with Christmas decorations. To really get into the Christmas spirit, my housemates and I decided to do a secret santa and have a Christmas party. I even bought a tiny Christmas tree (well, a bush)! We had a great time celebrating Christmas early in Greece and giving each other our secret santa presents! I’m also planning on taking a cooking lesson later this week where I’ll learn how to make some traditional Greek Christmas cookies!

Our mini Christmas tree/bush
Rose opening her gift!
                                               
            Since I now have less than two weeks left in Athens, I decided to check off a few last minute things on my list of places to visit. This past weekend, I finally had a chance to spend a few hours at the Byzantine and Christianity Museum. What I loved most about this museum was the huge amount of Byzantine Icons they have in their collection. Almost an entire floor of the museum is dedicated to these paintings! Below are some pictures of a few of my favorites. The museum also had a special exhibit on the origins of book making and book binding which was also very interesting.
                                       

I'm going to miss those mountains 

            I’ll be writing one more blog post sometime next week before I leave Athens. My time here has flown by and it will be a bittersweet day when I have to make my last trip up to the Acropolis. I’ll make one final update next week with some last thoughts and pictures. Until then, enjoy the Christmas pics above!

        Sam 

No comments:

Post a Comment