Saturday, January 18, 2014

Looking Back

I am now back on campus at Tufts.  I already miss the staff and friends I met at CYA, as well as Athens itself.  The freezing temperatures here certainly don't make the culture shock of returning any easier.

Your time abroad is what you make it.  The College Year in Athens program was designed so well that it was easy to love and easy to have a memorable experience. The people I grew close with over the past semester will remain an important part of my life.  Similarly, the things I learned while abroad, both in and out of class, will stay with me as I continue in my college career.  The adventures I had, the people I bonded with, and the country in which I lived combined to make one of the best experiences of my life.

Greece has earned a place in my heart.  It is the type of place that you have to get to know in order to love, and I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to do so.  I lived in Greece during a critical time in its history.  To be able to be a part of the community and to watch the rapid changes occur was a unique and exciting opportunity.

As I look forward to my sixth semester at Tufts, I feel I have a better understanding of the world around me.  I have learned much about foreign peoples, my own country, and myself.  My time in Greece reinvigorated my desire to meet new people and to explore new places. Similarly, time away only increased my appreciation for Tufts. 

I truly look forward to returning to Athens someday soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment