Wednesday, January 29, 2014

First Impressions

I’ve made it to Athens!  I’ll be living in this beautiful city for the next four months of my life, doing my best to learn the city, become a local, and make the most of each day.
I live in a simple but beautiful apartment in the neighborhood of Pagrati that is close to the center of the city with four other amazing roommates from my program, College Year in Athens.  I’ve already seen that CYA is clearly a well-established program over 50 years old that seems to offer many opportunities to see the city from an academic perspective and to dive into Athenian culture.  About 80 students are here with me at CYA, all from various schools around the US.  I’ve already met some really great people!
Most of my days have been structured with orientation activities, but a group of us ventured to the Acropolis during a long lunch break on my third day here!  I rallied a few of us to go, including one full-year student who was more than willing to tour us around and tell us fun facts he had learned from his ten visits to the site last semester.  It seems pretty standard to visit the archaeological sites in Athens multiple times during a semester!  It was amazing to climb the Acropolis and finally see its context.  In classes at home, it is difficult to imagine how it is in person, but it’s right in the center of the city. One of my favorite things from that trip was THE olive tree of all olive trees (the picture at the top of my blog, and perhaps the inspiration for my title…).  When Athena competed against Poseidon to become the patron god of the city, she gave this exact olive tree as a gift to the people.  It gave oil, wood and food and so was better than Poseidon’s spring of salt water.  I also passed the spot where there is supposedly the mark where Poseidon struck the earth with his trident to create this spring.  From the top we could see a 360 degree view of the city with the Aegean Sea and the mountains not far off.  Athens is huge, spread out, and relatively low compared to the cities I know in the US.  It was a nice chance to orient myself from above – I could see the stadium of the Panathenaic Games, for example, which is adjacent to the CYA building and two blocks from our apartment.  From that I could see our neighborhood and the far ends of the city I haven’t even thought of exploring yet.  All in due time.  
Tomorrow the modern Greek professors will take us to the farmer’s market in Pagrati to practice what we have learned in our “Survival Modern Greek” sessions this week!  It may be the highlight of my week, since I love markets like these.  I can’t say I’ve learned much, but every Greek I have met so far appreciates any effort I have made to speak the language.  The Greek people are kind and relaxed, and appreciate each day they have to live.  They roll with the punches and maintain a positive attitude despite hard times.  I hope that I can adopt at least some of their lifestyle!   

No comments:

Post a Comment