Monday, December 9, 2013

Greek Winter




Standing on the acropolis with my art and archeology class, I was acutely aware of one fact:  We have all become weather wimps.  Spoiled by the long, luxurious summer, cold weather in Greece took us all by surprise.

As the professor lectured, my peers stomped their feet to keep from losing feeling in their toes.  We huddled up for warmth and pulled our wool scarves tighter around our necks.  Each gust of wind caused teeth to chatter.  Our winter coats were not sufficient protection from the brutal cold.

The only problem? It was 45 degrees and sunny.  Of course, this is not warm.  But most of us are used to the much colder temperatures of winter in the northeast.   The months in Greece turned all of us into Greeks in regards to weather.

In Greece, heavy dew brings out rain slickers and umbrellas.  Anything lower than 50 and the parkas come out.  I am not exaggerating.  And now, I am part of it. 

Weekend trips to locations such as Prague and Berlin are startling reminders of what real cold is.  And frightful indicators of what I have to prepare for when I return to campus in January!

No comments:

Post a Comment