Monday, December 9, 2013

A snowy Christmas (market) in Berlin


I have just returned from Berlin.  Many flights in the hours leading up to my own were canceled due to strong winds and an entire airport nearby to Berlin was shut down.  So you can imagine how bumpy the flight was.  Sitting in the absolute last row, in a window seat that did not have a window (blank wall instead) I reminded myself that the motion sickness was worth getting to Berlin and that I was lucky that my flight wasn’t canceled in the first place.  With each dip of the plane and new patch of turbulence, I became less convinced by my own words.  I am happy to say that that was the worst part of the weekend.

While my friends and I were there, it snowed for the first time this season.  We all stuck out our tongues to catch the large, soft flakes and rejoiced in winter.  The Christmas markets were even more adorable in the snow. 

The twinkling lights, decorated tree, merry-go-round, and ice skating rink had us all feeling as if we had entered a winter wonderland.  We tried one of nearly every food item at the market, each savoring a bite from a shared pretzel, bratwurst, or waffle.  The hot cocoa and mulled wine were served in frosted mugs with depictions of winter in Berlin on the side.  The perfect drink and perfect souvenir, all wrapped into one.

The biggest surprise was the food.  German food is heavy sausages, potatoes, stews, and meat.  But Berlin is renown for its international and ethnic food.  I enjoyed superb Vietnamese.  The Mexican food was the spiciest food I have been able to find while abroad.  And the falafels were the best I have eaten outside of Israel.  The varied cuisines we found in Berlin were a much needed and appreciated change from the repetitious (yet delicious) Greek food in Greece. 

The nightlife in Berlin was unique.  The entire time in the city, we wore only black in order to avoid standing out.  When going out, we were instructed not to dress up.  The more casual we looked, the more we fit in.  A friend of a friend who studies in Berlin showed us the best spots.  One club was in an abandoned pool, while the next was an old power plant.  These spots were dark and dirty, and oh so cool.  Few people danced.  Those who did did the “Berlin Line Dance as we dubbed it.  Facing the DJ, men and women sidestepped back and forth.  Rarely, arms and heads bopped in time to the beat.  Shoulders and hips remained locked. 

During the day, we did the classic sightseeing.  The East Side Gallery (still standing portion of the Berlin Wall) hammered home the reality of Germany’s recent history.  The Jewish Museum was one of the very best museums I have ever explored, with a beautiful photography exhibit, an accessible history of the Jews, and a powerful Holocaust portion.  Unique architecture and interactive exhibits added to the overall experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment