Wednesday, February 26, 2014

More from MYSTRAS

This Byzantine fortification and monastery is only a 10 minute drive from Sparta, so as we climbed (and climbed and climbed) to the top we could see Sparta beneath us.  I’m not so sharp on my history, so I won’t go into it and risk getting it wrong.  To say the least, this was one of my favorite sites of the week!  We stepped inside two Byzantine churches to see it from an art history perspective.  The faces and eyes of the figures on the walls and ceilings were mostly destroyed.  I have a picture above of small plaques left in the churches that represent the ailments that worshippers prayed to the gods about.  I thought those were very cool to see, since in the museum at Edipdaurus we saw stone carvings that served the exact same function at the Temple of Asclepius!

No comments:

Post a Comment