Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Freaks and Geeks, Pt. 5, "Come Sail Away"

If you and six of your friends were given the opportunity to spend the weekend sailing the Mediterranean from one beautiful Greek island to the next, you'd take it, right? Good. That's what I did too. Nadia, our amazing program director at CYA, gave us all of the information and put everything in motion to create the best weekend I've had in Greece so far. I'll try and keep it brief in the writing section so I can just bombard the page with pictures.

We woke up before the sun on Friday morning and took the metro (did I mention there are archaeological sites in every metro station? That's pretty cool) down to Piraeus, the busiest port in all of the Mediterranean. From there, we took a hydrofoil (a high speed, aka terrifying, ferry) down to the island of Poros, where we would meet our Captain, Nikos. Poros was a beautiful island with churches and houses clinging to the hillsides, its narrow cobbled streets winding between buildings, up and out of sight. My sister would say it was something out of Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants, but I wouldn't know anything about that, right?

We set sail on our boat (I'm terrible at guessing the dimensions, but it was about 48 feet or something like that) for the Peloponnese, stopping at the island of Dhokos along the way to swim in a sheltered bay. We tended to do that a lot. This was also the first time I've seen dolphins in the wild - they loved to swim alongside the boat because of its wake and do tricks with the waves. I knew this would be an unforgettable experience, but COME ON.

After docking at a small village on the shores of the Peloponnese, we got on land at last to restock our supplies. I think the biggest lesson I took from this trip would be "you can never have enough water." Learned that the hard way. for three days in a row. Sometimes I'm a slow learning. Anyway, after we had dinner in the village we set sail again to reach the island of Hydra overnight - needless to say, I slept under the stars and the Mediterranean sky. We don't get to see that many stars in Sommerville, at least in comparison to here.

We spent the day on Hydra, walking around the old marina and running errands for our captain. It was a really beautiful island and I wish we could have spent more time there. After that and a stop on the nearby island of Aegina, we had to make our way back to Athens. I'll just let the pictures do the talking.
Ant









No comments:

Post a Comment