Monday, September 10, 2012

Freaks and Greeks, Pt. 3 "Sea Urchins Aren't Nice"

Last Saturday was the first time I've left Athens since arriving in Greece. On a tip from our modern Greek professors, about ten of us took the coastal bus down the winding highways that hug the cliff side to make our way to Cape Sounion at the southern tip of Attica. The ride was supposed to be 90 minutes long but, in true Greek fashion, took an hour longer. I didn't really mind though, because it was my first chance to see the Mediterranean. Its definitely been said before, but you wouldn't believe how magnificently blue the water is. I smiled the entire trip down - I think I may have creeped a few Greeks out. Mission Accomplished, Am I Right?

There were two reasons to go down to Sounion - the ocean and the Temple of Poseidon. The cape is a cliff that juts out into the ocean, and the Ancients chose the spot for a Temple to Poseidon - God of the Sea. It was really breathtaking to walk up the path and see the marble columns juxtaposed against the waves. I'm so sorry, I can't believe I actually just wrote "Juxtaposed." Anyway, the temple is a great example of the Doric order of building (the columns don't have fancy bases), and one can definitely imagine ancient Greek sailors seeing the temple as a welcome sight and a reminder of home after long voyages away from Hellas. 


 There's a great beach in Sounion, but we decided to be adventurous and climb down the rocks to swim in a secluded natural harbor we saw after walking around the paths. The stones formed some natural steps so it was easy to walk down and get to the waves. The water was so refreshing and warm, and I was struck by how salty it was. The wind can be pretty intense at times too, so the sea mist pounding your face adds to the sense of adventure, I suppose.  Despite how clear and blue the water was, none of us noticed the small black sea urchins clutching the sides of the rocks on the bottom. A few missteps changed that - the barbs are like a combination between a bee sting and a splinter - not pleasant. I only got a few in one toe, and I didn't have that bad of a reaction. My roommate, on the other hand, got some welts all down his side that needed an ointment from a local restaurant. Guess sea urchins can be poisonous, or at least people have different allergic reactions to them.


We made our wall to a taverna on top of the cliff after that ordeal, and then made our way down to the (almost urchin free) beach. As the sun started to set we made our way up the hill again to catch a bus back to Athens. While we were waiting we caught a breathtaking view of the area. It doesn't get much better (or much more Greek) than some ancient ruins on top of a cliff catching the light of a fading sun over the sea. I can feel myself falling in love with this place.

Definitely come to Sounion if you're ever in the area. That's an order, not a suggestion.
Anthony



No comments:

Post a Comment